Yearbook Groupie – Yearbook resources and guides

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Hi everyone! Welcome to our Yearbook Groupie Introduce Yourself forum!
    Here is a great way to build our community by getting to know one another; answer the following info:

Name (first name or username):
    State:
    How many years have you been a yearbook advisor?
    School age (k-12, preschool, homeschool, HS, Middle/Junior High, etc):
    School size:
    Is your yearbook a club, a class, or do you do it on your own?
    If it is a club or a class, how many people do you work with?
    What advice would you give other advisors?

Let me go first!

Name: Lynn
    State: Ohio
    How many years have you been a yearbook advisor? 13+
    School age (k-12, preschool, homeschool, HS, Middle/Junior High, etc): Elementary, 6th grade only
    School size: 1200-1400 for elementary, 500 6th grade only
    Is your yearbook a club, a class, or do you do it on your own? I was on my own
    If it is a club or a class, how many people do you work with?
    Have a plan, but make sure it’s flexible! GET LOTS OF PHOTOS – BETTER TO HAVE TOO MANY THAN NOT ENOUGH!

Whether you’re a new advisor or seasoned one, this is our community and a place to support each other through the journey of creating a yearbook!

Name: Jackie
    State: Florida
    How many years have you been a yearbook advisor? 5 years
    School-age: K-12
    School size: 150 students
    Is your yearbook a club, a class, or do you do it on your own? 2-day/week HS elective class
    If it is a club or a class, how many people do you work with? 10 students
    Teach the students the basics and industry standards helping them with the tools but lt them lead on theme and design, you are there to advise.

Keymaster

Hey Jackie!
    Thanks for introducing yourself and I’m glad to have you here! I loved your advice – giving students the tools and space to get creative is such a good way to get them to feel ownership in the book and be able to take charge of the yearbook! I also loved reading your contribution to the blog!

Thank you Lynn.

Lynn,
    I recently had a student who started my class overwhelmed and not sure how things were going to be. She said that she feels that the Yearbook is her ‘baby’ now and that she cannot wait to see the finished product and what her classmates will come up with. I made her the editor-in-chief! It was rewarding to see her go from scared to enjoying the process even though it’s work, it’s rewarding!

Participant

Hi. My name is Jen Durand and this is my first year as the yearbook advisor. I’m terrified, yet, having lots of fun with the creative aspect of the project.
    State: Oregon
    How many years have you been a yearbook advisor? three months
    School age: high school
    School size: 1400 students
    Is your yearbook a club, a class, or do you do it on your own? Class of 27 students
    What advice would you give other advisors? ???

Welcome, Jen! It is fun and challenging but I know you can do it! Check out the different forum topics or start a new one to ask questions, share victories, or vent! My best to you and your class!

Keymaster

Hi Jen and welcome!!
    I have been in your shoes, sort of… I never had a class of 27 students, but I remember being a new advisor and being so overwhelmed with all there is to do! As a matter of fact I think most of us were overwhelmed the first year! Take a look at our blog posts and always feel free to reach out to us in the forums and we will be happy to help however we can!

Participant

Name: Stacy
    State: Ohio
    How many years have you been a yearbook advisor? This is my 10th year, doing multiple schools
    School age: Elementary is what I do, but I help the jr. high/middle school & high school also
    School size: Smallest school is 100, largest school is around 700
    Is your yearbook a club, a class, or do you do it on your own? I work for the photography studio that does all the pictures. We do all the yearbooks for the elementary schools and several of the other schools also go through us, so I can help the advisor’s and student’s if needed
    If it is a club or a class, how many people do you work with? Usually just one advisor I would help. Occasionally we go to the school to help the students. Probably a dozen students max on the yearbook committee’s
    What advice would you give other advisors? Everything can be fixed, don’t worry or panic. The yearbook company is always there to answer questions and help out

Nice to meet you Stacy! Great info!

Keymaster

Hi Stacy-

Welcome to Yearbook Groupie!
    Glad to meet you and I think we have some of the same experiences with multiple schools. I definitely had to learn that we’re all doing our best and mistakes happen and most can be fixed. I was fortunate to have a yearbook company that helped me when I was in a bind and even when I wasn’t!
    Again, welcome and thank you for introducing yourself!

Lynn

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top